EMBEDDING INCLUSIVE EDUCATION IN TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT IN SOUTH AFRICA
All children have the ability to learn and have the right to quality education to enable them to reach their full potential. In South Africa, despite the substantial gains made in education since 1994, many children continue to be marginalised due to a web of interrelated barriers making them vulnerable to educational, social and economic exclusion. Some are denied access whilst many pass through the school system, or drop out, without receiving a quality education.
Teaching for All is an ambitious material and teacher development project that sees teachers as key change agents. Teaching for All aims to provide teachers with the skills, attitudes and knowledge to teach inclusively in diverse classrooms in diverse communities; thus contributing to a reduction of children being excluded from education.
Working with partners and key stakeholders, the Teaching for All project has developed teacher training modules and materials Bachelor of Education and Postgraduate Certificate in Education programmes. 10 South African universities are currently delivering the training, with the implementation being monitored and evaluated by the Centre for International Education at Cape Peninsula University of Technology. SACE-endorsed inclusive education in-service programmes are under development for delivery to Provincial Education Departments.
The success of Teaching for All relies on multi-sector partnerships committed to providing quality education for all learners: British Council, the Department of Basic Education, Department of Higher Education and Training, the University of South Africa and MIET AFRICA. The project is funded by the European Union.
The Teaching for All materials are open educational resources and we encourage you to download them from the list below and use and share them broadly. We also invite you to view and use our videos on our YouTube channel.
For further information on Teaching for All, please contact: email@example.com
LIST OF DOWNLOADABLE RESOURCES
- T4A Impact Report - Embedding IE in Teacher Professional Development
- T4A Summary of Impact and Project
- T4A Multilingual glossary
- T4A HEI Lecturer Notes
- T4A HEI Module Overview
- T4A HEI study guide unit 1 - Inclusive Education
- T4A HEI Study guide unit 2 - Learner Diversity
- T4A HEI Study guide unit 3 - Inclusive Schools
- T4A HEI Study guide unit 4 - Inclusive Teaching
- T4A CPTD Facilitator Guide Digital Course
- T4A CPTD Facilitator Guide
- T4A CPTD Participant Guide - Digital Course
- T4A Overview
- T4A Research Report – The State of Inclusive Education in South Africa and the Implications for Teacher Training