Creating Opportunity for South Africa's Youth (COSY)
The COSY project was launched in February 2017 and concluded in January 2020. The project sought to enable young people, particularly young women, in rural and semi-rural areas to be more active agents in achieving sustainable growth in South Africa by building their capacity to become entrepreneurs and by increasing their employability.
In addition to supporting South African youth, the project sought to build the capacity of local Civil Society Organisation (CSO) and support youth-led, and youth centred economic empowerment programmes.
- 8 communities in 4 provinces were reached
- Ages 15 – 25 years were targeted, including community leaders and Civil Society Organisations (CSOs)
- 20 Civil Society Organisations were funded
- 970 young people were trained on entrepreneurial skills
- 11 000 South African youth were reached
- R200 000 in Start-up capital was awarded
The project was funded by the European Union and coordinated by the British Council, in partnership with Business and Arts South Africa, LifeCo UnLtd South Africa and Livity Africa.