Following recent directives from the South African Government, the British Council has limited operations with several restrictions in place until further notice.
However, the British Council staff will continue to perform duties that do not require contact with the public.
This is a precautionary measure to protect our customers and partners in view of the Covid-19 pandemic.
See below status and updates on exams and programme activities.
To protect the health of IELTS test takers in light of Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19), IELTS tests have been suspended in South Africa until further notice. Affected test-takers will be eligible for a transfer or refund by completing this survey or contacting our centre via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional and university exams
All Professional and University exams have also been suspended until further notice. Kindly look out for formal communication from your University or Professional body. If you made payment for your exams through the British council, kindly contact our centre via email email@example.com
For more information on Schools registrations for October/November 2020, please follow the link below
We have suspended all Face-to-Face enquiries until further notice. We will continue to ensure customers receive the same level of customer service experience via telephone, emails and our social media. You can contact us via telephone +27 (0)11 560 9300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
During this uncertain time, our students, customers and partners’ health is our priority.
Please stay up to date on current welfare guidelines, available here: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
Will my scheduled tests still hold as planned?
- The date for your test will determine whether it will come off as planned or not. We are also unsure of how soon this crisis will be gone.
I am yet to be contacted; does it mean my test will still hold as previously scheduled?
- If you’re yet to be contacted, kindly send an email to us at email@example.com
Must test-takers apply for a refund or can one leave the application until the British Council resume activities?
- Due to the current uncertainty caused by the novel Covid-19 outbreak, you can either transfer or refund. To transfer complete this survey and for a refund, please follow the link and complete https://bit.ly/IELTS-refund-za
I just received an email notice for the cancellation of my test. Please, what options are available for the transfer? Can I know the earliest date I can pick?
- Kindly follow through the date transfer process here.
I have completed the transfer survey but no response yet.
- You are a priority candidate and we will reserve special slots for you. These are separate to other dates you may see becoming available.
- We understand the delay has been frustrating for you, but it allows us to ensure that you will be able to take your exam in the most secure, healthy and safe environment we can offer. Please expect to receive notification once testing dates have been confirmed.
Since I made payment over two weeks ago, the status of my test date is still showing: "Awaiting Approval". I sent an email and I’m yet to get a reply.
- Due to the large volume of emails we are currently receiving and processing, kindly give us up to 72 hours to respond to you. If you do not receive a response after 72 hours, please put a call through on the telephone line 011 560 9300.
I'm trying to get a refund for a duplicate IELTS payment. Is there a number I can call that is working?
- Kindly send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 011 560 9300.
Does the 25% fee apply to a refund requested because of the global pandemic?
- The 25% fee does not apply in this case.
Will there be a delay in release and dispatch of results?
- Results for all tests already taken have been released online for 30 days. However, hard copy results can only be dispatched when we resume operations.
Would the current closure affect the timeline for EOR application?
- The timeline for processing EOR will be affected since we are not working in the office to get access to files to work with.
Are there safety precautions being put in place on test day, due to the Corona virus outbreak?
- There are currently no tests running due to the lock down.
What’s the update on checkpoint and IGCSEs?
- Get the latest update from Cambridge using link provided; latest update from Cambridge International
What’s the update on University and professional exams?
- These exams are not being taken at our facility since the offices are closed. Kindly look out for formal communication from your University or Professional body. If you made payment for your exams through the British council, kindly contact our centre via email email@example.com