The competition is open to anyone aged 21 to 35 and working in or studying technology, engineering, medicine, biology, chemistry, physics or maths. This includes private and public sector employees.
- Lecturers and researchers in science, engineering or mathematics subjects, including specialist science teachers with a science degree
- People who work on applying science, engineering technology or mathematics (e.g. patent clerks, statisticians, consultants to industry)
- University students of science, mathematics or engineering aged 21 to 35
- People who apply science, mathematics or engineering in the armed forces or government bodies
- People who apply science, engineering or mathematics in industry or business.
We cannot accept:
People who are already working professionally in public engagement with science, including:
- Press or PR officers, even for science-related organisations
- Artists who work on science-related themes
- Performers whose shows are about science or engineering
- Permanent science centre staff who work exclusively or mainly with the public
- Journalists and broadcasters (as their main or only job)
- Non-specialist teachers